Salary: £50,000 – £60,000
Are you skilled in modern C++? Do you enjoy embedded development, but have a desire to grow into backend development?
If you thrive working across a variety of projects and products within a diverse team and want to contribute to a low carbon future, then keep reading – This role could be exactly what you’ve been looking for!
At Guru Systems you can be part of a team developing technology that is radically reducing carbon emissions and making energy systems more transparent and lower cost for society.
We deliver market-leading hardware and data analytics across heat networks, improving performance for developers, heat suppliers, customers and our planet.
Delivering low-carbon heat is one of the biggest challenges in the transition to a net-zero emissions future. Our technology helps to accelerate this transition by using AI-driven analytics to improve efficiency and change the future of heat for the better.
Our 24/7 solution currently serves almost 30,000 connected utility devices in homes across the UK. The installed base and data volumes are rapidly growing, and this role sits at the heart of this growth.
To help us achieve this, your primary mission will be to develop embedded software for our new product family. Working with experienced engineers you will gain knowledge in all aspects of growing technology, including the opportunity for hands-on development to supply backend services and components. This includes the software and coding patterns to ensure scalability, as well as processes, deployment and automation in our CI/CD environment.
We value open source software and as such you will be an active member and contributor of the communities whose software we are utilising.
About the role
First and foremost, this in an Embedded C++ development position, however our codebase is heavily influenced by modern development practices, so the code you will work on:
- Is written in modern C++11
- Has unit tests, CI & CD
- Can be compiled and run on a laptop
Guru’s data centre code is written in Golang. You’ll contribute to that, as well as help keep the whole system running as part of an on-call rota during office hours. Training for both will be provided, however experience in these areas is good.
Our ideal candidate
You’ll have a solid track record of delivering modern C++ embedded products, working within diverse delivery teams covering operations, product and engineering. Naturally inquisitive, you’ll be comfortable recommending and implementing relevant tools and new processes. You’ll have a common sense approach to technology, allowing you to quickly understand the fundamentals and communicate them to non-technical stakeholders.
Confident and self-motivated, comfortable within an SME, you’ll have an excellent interpersonal style, able to operate effectively as part of a dynamic team. You’ll feel comfortable speaking to customers at all levels of seniority.
- 5+ years of professional software development experience, including several years writing Modern C++
- Experience writing software for an embedded platform
- An interest to learn Golang
- Strong empathy and the capacity to react calmly and efficiently, even when others are stressed
- Excellent interpersonal and presentational skills, with the ability to communicate clearly in written and spoken English
Nice to have
- Solid technical background, with understanding or hands-on experience in software development and web technologies
- Golang development experience
- Experience working in an SME / start-up environment
Benefits and other information
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, this is a full time permanent role with 25 days’ holiday each year.
- Be part of a growing innovative business and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment
- Bespoke personal development budget
- Normal working hours are 9 am to 5:30 pm
- Guru Systems will match 5% pension contributions
- 2 Volunteer / Social Engagement Days
- Quarterly and annual social events, from bowling to a whole company getaway
- We offer great perks and discounts with free access to health and wellness support and more.
- Free coffee, teas and fruit every day, and a variety of beverages on a Friday!