Salary: £30,000 – £50,000
Are you skilled in PHP? Probably from a LAMP environment, but with a desire to progress? Are you someone who thrives on working across a variety of projects and products within a diverse team? Do you want to contribute to a low carbon future?
At Guru Systems you can be part of a team developing technology that is radically reducing carbon emissions and making energy systems more transparent and lower cost for society.
We deliver market-leading hardware and data analytics across heat networks, improving performance for developers, heat suppliers, customers and our planet.
Delivering low-carbon heat is one of the biggest challenges in the transition to a net-zero emissions future. Our technology helps to accelerate this transition by using AI-driven analytics to improve efficiency and change the future of heat for the better.
Our 24/7 solution is serving almost 30,000 connected utility devices in homes across the UK. The installed base and data volumes are rapidly growing, and this role sits at the heart of this growth, supporting our current software platforms on the one hand, while contributing to the new infrastructure and products we’re developing.
To help us achieve this your primary mission will be to maintain and extend the backend that provides APIs and customer facing user interface. Working with experienced engineers you will gain knowledge in all aspects of growing technology. This includes the software and coding patterns to ensure scalability, as well as processes, deployment and automation in our
We value open source software and as such you will be an active member and contributor of the communities whose software we are utilising.
- Deliver specific pieces of development that best fulfill Guru’s business objectives
- Improve the collective skills of the engineering team through knowledge sharing, mentorship and coaching
- Implement subsystems and features from techdocs; deploy them into production; identify and fix bugs; and, resolve ambiguities in specifications
- Review code changes for correctness, architectural clarity and style
- Evaluate, update and maintain an existing PHP code base, and integrate it with Golang microservices.
Our ideal candidate
You’ll have a solid track record of delivering PHP-based projects and products, working within diverse delivery teams covering operations, product and engineering. Naturally inquisitive, you’ll be comfortable recommending and implementing relevant tools and new processes. You’ll have a common sense approach to technology, allowing you to quickly understand the fundamentals and communicate them to non-technical stakeholders.
Confident and self-motivated, comfortable within an SME, you’ll have an excellent interpersonal style, able to operate effectively as part of a dynamic team. You’ll feel comfortable speaking to customers at all levels of seniority.
- 2 years’ experience with PHP, Apache and SQL
- Knowledge of Linux (you are using Linux as a workstation)
- A high level of interest in solid engineering principles, for example:
- measuring code runtime behaviour
- backing up design choices with measurable facts
- An interest to learn Golang
- Strong empathy and the capacity to react calmly and efficiently, even when others are stressed
- Excellent interpersonal and presentational skills, with the ability to communicate clearly in written and spoken English
Nice to have
- Solid technical background, with understanding or hands-on experience in software development and web technologies
- Usage of gRPC/Json APIs from PHP
- Experience working in an SME / startup environment
Benefits and other information
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, this is a full time permanent role with 25 days’ holiday each year.
- Be part of a growing innovative business and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment
- Bespoke personal development budget
- Normal working hours are 9 am to 5:30 pm
- Guru Systems will match 5% pension contributions
- 2 Volunteer / Social Engagement Days
- Quarterly and annual social events, from bowling to a whole company getaway
- We offer great perks and discounts with free access to health and wellness support and more.
- Free coffee, teas and fruit every day, and a variety of beverages on a Friday!